KIST (Korea Institute of Science and Technology)
The wordmark is a combination of the English name and initials (KIST) of the Korea Institute of Science and Technology and is designed to improve the awareness of KIST through CI and deliver an accurate image of the institution both internally and externally. Through the double meaning of 'I' and '1', the confidence of KIST was emphasized in pursuing the best and being proud of the best. It also expressed the role of a comprehensive research institute that respects individuality and creativity in each field or individual by avoiding the linear arrangement of initials and harmonizing them and creates a new scientific culture by harmonizing (converging) these various entities with each other. Moreover, RED COLOR, the main color, contains KIST's dynamic, challenging, progressive, and leading image of choosing and focusing on future sources and convergence technology and playing a central role in developing national science and technology.
The logotype was developed in Korean, Chinese, and English in consideration of the unity and combination of the wordmark to convey the image of KIST through the name.
KIST's emblem combines the wordmark and Korean-English logotype, symbolizing authority and tradition, and can be utilized appropriately in various media.
Gold and silver can also be expressed according to the color usage shown below based on the basic two colors.
Signature refers to a combination of the wordmark and logotypes, vital elements of CI, up and down, left and right under a certain standard.
You can select and use the appropriate one depending on the layout or situation of the applied media. In addition to the designated color, gold and silver can be used. Still, in principle, the illustrated situation should be used and expanded, and reduced in direct proportion.
Left-right combination of Hangul
Up-down combination of Hangul
Left-right combination of Chinese
Up-down combination of Chinese
The main color is applied to the wordmark, logotypes, and various media to form KIST's unique color and deliver a consistent image. KIST Red, the main color, symbolizes the pinnacle of cutting-edge science, contains the dynamic, challenging, progressive, and leading image of KIST, and represents young ambition and passion.
The main color is used in application items as a basis, and gold and silver can be utilized as an appropriate expression technique when expressing luxury.
It is used in applications based on the main color and requires appropriate regulation. It is practical to use in promotional products (events) or promotional items.
KIST RED Pantone : 1788C 2X
Process Color : Cyan 5% Magenta 90% Yellow 100%
RGB : R228 G65 B38
KIST DARK GRAY Pantone : 425C
Process Color : Magenta 5% Yellow 10% Black 70%
RGB : R109 G110 B103
KIST GRAY Pantone : 423C
Process Color : Black 40%
RGB : R171 G173 B176
KIST SILVER Pantone : 877C
KIST GOLD Pantone : 873C
KIST YELLOW Pantone : 173C
Process Color : Magenta 35% Yellow 100%
RGB : R255 G16
KIST GREEN Pantone : 376C
Process Color : Cyan 50% Yellow 100%
RGB : R140 G200 B70
The main color is applied to the wordmark, logotypes, and various media to form KIST's unique color and deliver a consistent image.
KIST Red, the main color, symbolizes the pinnacle of cutting-edge science, contains the dynamic, challenging, progressive, and leading image of KIST, and represents young ambition and passion.
In the case of a white background
In the case of a red background
In the case of a dark gray background
In the case of a black background
- The symbol of the early period was derived from the three letters' 한과연 (Hangwayeon)' of the Korea Institute of Science and Technology and was used from the time of its establishment (approximately July 1966) to November 1967, when a new design was introduced.
- The logo below embodies KIST, the capital letter of the Korea Institute of Science and Technology, written in English.
- The triangle and wings in the center of the mark represent the three-fold crystal symmetry as a crystallographic symbol and describe the material structure, symbolizing "science."
- The cogwheel surrounding the exterior symbolizes industry, that is, "technology."
- This symbol represents science and technology simultaneously and symbolically expresses the development of science and technology to support industrial development, which symbolizes the purpose of establishing the Korea Institute of Science and Technology.
- Cerulean blue in the upper part symbolizes the KIST's high ideals and deep intelligence, and cobalt blue in the lower part indicates the hopeful dream of fostering young talents and the infinite improvement of R&D.
- It represents the cooperation between educational and research institutes, which are the organizational bodies of the KIST and symbolizes the theory of education and the practice of research.
- It was conceived by embodying the 'ㄱ' of science (과학) and the 'ㄱ' of technology (기술), and the shape expresses S, the first letter of science.
1989 - May 21, 2003
- The square shape contains a neatly arranged image and the thoroughness of the research attitude working on science and technology.
- Inside the square, KIST, the commonly used abbreviation, is written in long font to give a more sophisticated feeling, and the 'I' part of KIST was accentuated, excluding the ordinariness of the letter-shaped mark.
May 22, 2003 - present
- The double meaning of 'I' and '1' emphasizes the confidence of KIST in pursuing the best and being proud of the best.
- KIST's role in creating a science culture with freedom and open thinking is expressed through a somewhat deconstructed expression.
- Avoiding the linear arrangement of initials and harmonizing them expresses a comprehensive research institute that respects individuality and creativity in various fields/individuals and harmonizes (converges) with each other.
- It expresses KIST of choosing, focusing on, and playing a central role in future sources and convergence technology.
- A wordmark that combines English full name and initials (KIST) → It is a new attempt with high communication effect and accurate institute image delivery. (Depending on the situation, a slogan and department name can be combined in the full name position.)
- The intense red color symbolizes the peak of cutting-edge science → It implies the dynamic, challenging, progressive, and leading image of KIST.
- It is effective in 'building a differentiated image with other funded institutes.'