KIST Technology Transfer Policy
A non-profit organization, KIST aims to disseminate technology to the industrial sector while complying with government regulations and conducting technology transfers accurately and impartially.
As a government-funded research institute, we place a greater importance on serving the public than we do pursuing profits. As a result, we strictly limit the use of KIST’s name in marketing materials. Nor can we offer any guarantees regarding the technology transferred.
As a rule, KIST conducts technology valuations but also complies with government policies in determining licensing fees.
Payment consists of the initial payment, running royalty, and minimum payment. Milestones may accrue for additional R&D or payment agreements regarding third-party usage of the technology.
- INITIAL PAYMENT
- A flat rate regardless of the amount of production or sales of the transferred technology
- SMEs may sometimes pay in installments, depending on their financial status. However, 30% of the total initial payment must be given at the time of signing the contract.
- RUNNING ROYALTY
- Calculated as soon as sales of the technology begin Payment is made every March (starting with the first March following the initial production) in an amount reflecting the agreed-upon percentage of total sales.
- MINIMUM PAYMENT
- Minimum payment takes effect when the running royalty falls below a certain amount
As a public research institute, KIST offers non-exclusive licenses to help ensure that as many companies benefit from our research outcomes as possible.
KIST offers standardized licensing agreements to ensure fairness and transparency, and to publicly disseminate research outcomes in order to prevent them from languishing.
홈페이지On our tech. transfer website, you can select which technology you wish to have transferred.
Upon request, KIST’s Technology Transfer Team will promptly provide information regarding your selected technology and the terms of transfer. We can also arrange for you to meet with the inventor of the technology.
To determine the exact terms of the transfer, KIST’s Technology Committee evaluates the selected technology in regard to its economic and scientific value, and assesses potential licensees’ production and marketing capabilities, financial status, and level of manpower.
Negotiating a Contract
Negotiate a contract based on the result of the technology evaluation
Provide technological advice and training when required, as per the terms of contract
- Licensing agreements
- Environment/Energy Division : Noel Seo (02-958-6391)
- Electronic/Robot Division: Kwang Hyun Park (02-958-6106)
- Bio Division : Se Jong Lim (02-958-6106)
※ Please contact our team or visit our website (http://smesc.kist.re.kr) if you have any questions or comments about KIST’s technology transfer system.